Irish Law's Virtual Classroom

a whole mess of digital learning

Meet Ms. V/Mrs. Law

Why I teach…

Growing up, I never thought that I’d become a teacher. This is despite the fact that my maternal grandmother and my mother were both teachers! I suppose when I look back over my journey from childhood to adulthood, I am not surprised that I ended up in the classroom. I’ve always been a passionate, inquisitive person who constantly searches for answers to the million and one questions I have about life, people, science, religion, psychology, cooking, literature….everything!

Some of the most influential people throughout my childhood, both good and bad, have been teachers. My respect and admiration for those rare teachers who really seemed fired up about what they taught and seemed to really “get” kids in general made me start to believe that teaching might in fact be my path after all. Next to my parents, these teachers were the ones who would deliver the life lessons to me that I needed right when I needed them. I ultimately decided that if I could bring my passion and knowledge for literature and writing to kids and to make them feel challenged, understood, supported, safe, and inspired both in the classroom and out, then I would be undertaking a lifelong labor of love.

This year marks my tenth year in the classroom. My students throughout the years have pushed me to grow, change, learn, expand, love, and see things from many different perspectives. They have made me laugh, cry, think, and feel joy. I am grateful to be in a profession which affects me as much as it allows me to affect others.

My teaching philosophy

I believe it is a teacher’s job to guide a child, not to answer every question, but to help students find their own answers. I believe that true learning happens in the struggle and that mistakes are necessary for us to learn. In my classroom, I strive to create an environment where my students will feel safe, challenged, and supported in their efforts to listen to one another as they learn. I am the Decisive ElementĀ  in my classroom.

Professional Details

I have taught 7th and 8th grade English in MISD for 12 years, both regular and advanced. I received my secondary (grades 6 through 12) teaching certification and a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of North Texas in Denton in Literature with a Psychology minor. Last year I began Master’s coursework at Hardin Simmons University in Gifted Education. I’ve served as the DJMS Gifted Specialist for the past three years.

About Me

This is me:Sara and Aidan Pumpkin Patch

The summer of 2012 I got married to the dashing fellow below.

:Brandon

We were friends long before we began dating, so I’m glad to say that by marrying Brandon, I married a friend šŸ™‚ He’s one of the smartest men I know.

I’m now step-mom to two clever, beautiful children: 11-year-old Dylan and 9-year-old Alena.

Dylan and Alena

In November of 2012 we welcomed our son Aidan Christopher. He brings light into the life of anyone who knows him. I’m so proud to be his mom.

Aidan BathFancy Aidan

We are happy to say that we live in Mansfield with our Zen cat, Charles Bronson.

I love both my Italian and my Irish heritage and celebrate them both! Because my paternal grandparents came from Italy, food was always a focal point for our family gatherings, as it still is even though my grandparents have passed on. My brother and I grew up on homemade ravioli, meatballs, pasta, lasagna, and other delights. From my mom’s side, I have a great love of all things Celtic (hence the “Irish Law” moniker) – the music, the artwork, the stories, the dancing…I frequent the North Texas Irish Festival and the Scottish Festival whenever possible. There are those in my inner circle who would accuse me of being a “Rennie” – or Renaissance FaireĀ aficionado. What’s not to love about costumes, bonfires, turkey legs, fire dancers, and live music?Ā Last year, I finally made it to Ireland with a few good friends. Ireland did not let me down and I can’t wait to go back. It’s so beautiful!

I love traveling, music, reading (often at the sake of sleep), writing, cooking, Bikram yoga, teaching, and my friends and family. I squeeze in adventure whenever possible.

….I’m a bit of a nerd.

Ā 

….Thanks for trusting me with your child!